Fast Fact #1
We’ve all heard the statistic that 1 in 68 people are diagnosed with ASD, but only 1 in 225 beginning college students in our study self-reported ASD.
Why do only 1 in 225 new college students report having Autism?
Possible reasons for the disparity…
- Low college enrollment of students with autism compared to other student groups
- Students’ reluctance to disclose their diagnosis due to…
- Not aware of their diagnosis
- Fear of being stigmatized
- Believing that autism is not a disability
- Wanting to “make it on their own”
This material is based, in part, upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant Number 1612090.
This information is from an initial analysis of data from 2,246 students of a single.