Foothills Academy webinars are professional development opportunities for higher education staff and faculty to explore practices and strategies to support autistic and other neurodivergent students.
How to Access Past Foothill Academy Webinars
If you attended the specific Foothill Academy webinar you would like access to below or have a CAN membership, complete the following steps:
- Sign into the site by clicking on the “Membership” icon in the menu above.
- Click “Member Portal” and log in using the email address and password you created when you registered (or your log-in information as a CAN member).
- Once you have logged in, come back to this page and click the Foothill Academy link below.
If you are not a member or did not previously purchase access to the Foothill Academy webinar you would like to access, you will need to purchase access. To purchase access, please click on the “Purchase Access Here for $50” button after the Foothills Academy title you are interested in.
June 2023 (3 sessions): Square One: Launching a Campus-Based Autism Support Initiative
A three-part virtual instructional series for higher education professionals interested in launching a campus program or initiative to support autistic and other neurodivergent students.
February-March 2023 (3 sessions): Helping Higher Ed Professionals Understand the Employment Landscape for Neurodivergent Students: How it Works, Who is Doing it Well, Why it Matters – A Series of Discussions with Employers and Higher Education Professionals
There are no recordings of this event. This event was co-sponsored by the College Autism Network and the UConn Center for Neurodiversity and Employment Innovation.
- Panelists include: Rachel Bedard, Ph.D. (Psychologist, private practice), Peggy Crowe, Ph.D. (Director, Counseling Center & Student Accessibility Resource Center, Western Kentucky University), Julie DiMatteo, Ph.D., ABPP (Psychologist, private practice & Assistant Director, Outreach and Prevention, Seton Hall University), Shivani Gopal Edwards, MSW, LISW-S, LICDC-CS (Associate Director, Director of Clinical Service, Office of Life, Counseling and Consultation, The Ohio State University), Eric Endlich, Ph.D. (Founder, Top College Consultants), Laura Viars, MA, LPC (Mental Health Counselor, The College Program for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder, WV Autism Training Center, Adjunct Professor, Marshall University)
- Moderated by Lee Burdette Williams (Executive Director, College Autism Network)
- Many U.S. campuses report an increase in students who identify as autistic or otherwise neurodivergent. While they are often supported by a disability resource center, an autism-specific program, or external providers, they are increasingly looking to all campus offices to provide neuroinclusive services. In this webinar, a diverse group of clinicians and administrators will share experiences and strategies for effective clinical relationships with autistic and other neurodivergent students. This webinar is designed for counseling center and other clinical staff who wish to better understand the characteristics of autism and how to work in an accepting and effective way to support the success of autistic students who seek counseling.